Squash Oaty Bars
by Sharon Hearne Smith
These slightly soft and moist oaty bars are a cross between a granola bar and a muffin. They are ideal for lunchboxes or as a snack on the run. They boast being gluten free and nut free, making them ideal for school. They are free from refined sugar too, sweetened only with a little honey and with the natural sweetness of the butternut squash.
Serves: 4 People
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tbsp Clear Honey or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Desiccated Coconut or chia seeds, pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds (or a mix of all 4)
- 1 x Eggs
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 300 ml Milk
- 1 tbsp Milled Organic Flaxseed
- 50 g Raisins
- 125 g SuperValu Butternut Squash peeled and finely grated
- 1 zest SuperValu Orange
- 150 g SuperValu Porridge Oats gluten free if necessary
- 1 tbsp SuperValu Sunflower Oil for greasing
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Lightly grease a 15cm x 25cm baking dish or tray with sunflower oil, line with non-stick baking paper and set aside.
2. Place the oats in a large bowl and add the raisins, your choice of chia, coconut or seeds (or a mix of all three), the milled flaxseeds, baking powder and cinnamon. Toss everything together and make a well in the centre.
3. Beat the milk, egg and honey together in a jug or bowl until well blended. Stir in the grated squash and orange zest. Pour this into the well in the dry ingredients and mix until fully combined. Pour into the prepared baking dish or tray, levelling the top.
4. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until crisp and golden on top and just set. Remove and leave to cool a little in the tin before leaving on a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into 12 equal-sized bars and serve. These will keep for a few days in an airtight container in the fridge.
TIP - Instead of (or as well as) squash, these will work well with carrot, parsnip and even beetroot too.
1289833000, 1230487000, 1015448001, 1024951000, 1350611001, 1292391000, 1401631000, 1007995000, 1027497000, 1180310000, 1015635000, 1336134000,
Thanks for printing this recipe - SuperValu Team