Bressie's Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Jalfrezi Curry
by Niall Breslin
I tend to eat a lot of protein for post-workout recovery, but I try not to rely on meat-based protein only. Because curries are so full of flavour, I go for vegetarian options to give myself a break from meat.
Serves: 4 People
- 400 g Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 400 g Chopped Tomatoes
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 0.5 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tbsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1 x Lime cut into wedges, to serve
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 x Onion finely chopped
- 1 pinch Pepper
- 1 pinch Salt
- 50 g SuperValu Baby Spinach
- 1 x SuperValu Fresh Ginger thumb-sized piece, peeled and finely grated
- 2 medium SuperValu Sweet Potato peeled and cubed
- 25 g Toasted Almond Flakes to garnish
- 500 ml Vegetable Stock
1. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan set over a low to medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and sauté for 6 to 8 minutes, until softened. Stir in the spices and some salt and pepper and fry for a minute or two.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes, sweet potatoes and stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender and the sauce has slightly reduced. Add the chickpeas and spinach and allow the spinach to wilt.
3. Ladle the curry into bowls. Scatter over the flaked almonds and serve with a lime wedge on the side.
Tip - This curry tastes delicious for a few days and keeps well, so it’s an ideal meal for making ahead or having for lunch the next day. It even tastes great cold!
1404574000, 1350629000, 1018383000, 1023017000, 1350611001, 1350598000, 1350595000, 1350552000, 1015786000, 1511054000, 1036706000, 1030330000, 1004541000, 1165338000, 1014035000, 1264173001
Thanks for printing this recipe - SuperValu Team